In recent years there have been various studies to prove the health benefits of using olive oil in your daily diet. Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and monounsaturated fats. It is known to reduce the LDL (bad) cholesterol level, reduce risks associated to breast cancer and heart disease and can potentially reduce the risk for type 2 diabetes, by maintaining healthy blood sugar levels in the body. So ixnay on the butter and add some Greek olive oil to your shopping list. The benefits of olive oil don’t stop there. Olive oil has many benefits to your skin.
USE OF OLIVE OIL IN ANCIENT GREECE
The Ancient Greeks were always looking for ways to improve appearances and to improve the aging process. Lucky for them they had the gift of life, the olive tree, right at their fingertips. In the early 7th century BC, the cosmetic use of olive oil quickly spread to all of the Greek cities. Did you know the word cosmetic comes from the Greek word ‘kosmetikos’? The ancient goddesses used olive oil to protect them from the hot Greek sun and for various facial and body treatments. They also loved combining olive oil and honey. In today’s beauty world both of these ingredients are still used today. We should thank the ancient Greek beauties for their early teachings!
BENEFITS OF OLIVE OIL FOR YOUR SKIN
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants which include Vitamins A&E, phenolic compounds, oleic acid, hydroxytyrosol, and many more. These antioxidants can do wonders for your skin! Just some of those powerful benefits include:
- Smooth, Soft, Moisturized Skin: Olive oil is a natural emollient and has a similar composition of the skin’s natural lubricant which allows the olive oil to penetrate deep into the skin, locking in natural moisture and preventing dry skin.
- Repair & Renew Skin Cells: Due the high quantities of antioxidants, such as hydroxytyrosol and vitamin E, olive oil can help repair damaged skin and protect against free radicals (including some that are cancer causing) from the environment, such as pollution, sun exposure, and unhealthy food.
- Improve Skin Elasticity: The antioxidants, including squalene, naturally stimulate the skin skills which tightens and firms the skin and prevents the skin from dehydration. Olive oil combined with coffee grounds can help reduce cellulite when massaged on the skin.
- Prevents Aging Skin: The Hydroxytyrosol and Vitamin E antioxidants in the olive oil help to prevent cell degeneration and the reduction of wrinkles.
- Non-Greasy/Acne Fighting: Olive oil is known to not clog pores, as it penetrates deep into the skin, and therefore is good for those with acne. After cleansing your face with soap, you can massage a small amount of olive oil on your face before bed. Don’t forget, a little goes a long way.
- Natural Exfoliator: Olive oil mixed with some sea salt and massaged on your skin is a wonderful exfoliator to get rid of dead skin cells and to leave you with healthy looking skin.
- Relieves the symptoms of eczema and psoriasis: Due to the oleocanthal compound found in the olive oil, those who suffer with eczema or psoriasis can benefit using olive oil because it can soothe the flared-up skin and reduce the inflammation.
- Great for Sensitive Skin: The Ancient Greeks used to cleanse the skin with only olive oil before there was soap. Some even say that olive oil is hypoallergenic because it is very rare to find someone allergic to olive oil, so almost everyone should be able to use olive oil on their skin.
- Natural Makeup Remover: Olive oil works excellent as a makeup remover and is often less expensive than those removers that are on the market containing harsh chemicals. Just put a little oil on a cotton ball and it works wonders, especially for that waterproof mascara we have a love/hate relationship with.
- Lip Moisturizer: Combined with some honey and beeswax, olive oil is the perfect lip moisturizer.
At Vilia Soap Company, we truly believe olive oil is the tree of life because of all of the wonderful benefits. We make olive oil soap using the traditional cold process method. We formulate each recipe with natural ingredients, to provide you with a gentle cleansing bar with rich moisturizing properties. We also use lovely smelling essential oil blends to make your daily cleansing routine special. Check out our soap collection.